Dogs typically will eat just about anything. But as pup-pawrents, we want to make sure what they consume is good for them too. It’s true that there are quality treats that you can find in your local pet food store or online, such as Zuke’s Jerky Natural Bites Grain-Free Dog Treats , although, have you ever considered making your pup fresh-baked, homemade treats?
Disclaimer: Always check with your veterinarian before feeding your pup new treats, particularly if your pup has any allergies or sensitivities to any type of food or ingredient!
A simple homemade dog treat recipe we came across includes straight-forward ingredients that you may already have in your kitchen, such as peanut butter, oats, and all-purpose flour.
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup quick oats
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 egg*
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
*Not into eggs? Try mixing 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of water. Mix and then let sit in refrigerator for 15 minutes until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees Fahrenheit (this may vary depending on altitude).
- Set aside a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Stir water, oil, egg, and peanut butter in a large bowl (mixer recommended).
- Add dry ingredients to water, oil, egg, and peanut butter and stir consistently until you reach a thorough consistency.
- Lightly flour a flat surface and roll out dough so it is about an 1/8 of an inch thick.
- Mold dough into various shapes approximately 2 inches in diameter. *
- Set dough onto baking sheet with parchment paper and place into oven. Set a timer for 10 minutes.
- Take baking sheet out of the oven, flip treats over, and bake again for 10 minutes. After the ten minutes, turn oven off, and allow the treats to remain in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove treats from the oven and wait for treats to completely cool before serving to your pup!
*Use cookie cutters to make fun shapes!
Did you know? Homemade treats have a huge advantage over store-bought treats: you know every ingredient that goes into the treats, plus there’s that special ingredient that no store-bought treat has: your ruv!
Recipe sourced from Love from the Oven